*NEW* Meeting day: – Friday Evenings [was Tuesdays]
*NEW* Time: 6:00 PM [was 7:45 PM]
Duration: 1.5 hrs
Cost: $10 members / $15 non-members (must be financial Australian canoeing members (e.g. members of another AC affiliated club))
Location: Weekly at the UQ Pool (UQ Building 27 or picture). HEATED POOL (27 deg.).
Purpose: Polo training, skills development, polo games, and preparation for competition.
- A Halt to All Club Activities (Coronavirus Prevention)
All club activities are postponed until the coronavirus situation is more clear. With infection rates in Queensland increasing, we are halting our activities. Others (eg the aquatic centre) are doing the same for UQ clubs. A message from the committee follows.(more…)
- Temporary Pontoon
The club pontoon has sustained major damage and is being repaired. An alternative pontoon is available.(more…)
- Polo and Pool Training Calendar 2020
Next General POOL Training Sessions (Fri 13th and Fri 20th Mar)
Experienced members please come along help out at the General training sessions at the UQ pool, on the first few Friday evenings of each semester at 6:00 PM. (see below for dates). Entry is free if you help and/or teach in the training sessions. Note that these two dates are not canoe polo as such, They are aimed at basic paddle skills and learning to use the smaller boats. It’s a chance to complete the swim test and become comfortable with the wet exit technique. They are not open to non-members unless invited specifically.
Canoe polo will be every week at the UQ pool during semester other than pool training sessions. Long sleeved shorts required (as per polo safety rules). See calendar below dates and any variations.
Next Polo Sessions
- 6th Feb – Weekly Polo Training
- 13th Mar – General Pool Training I and Swim Tests
- 20th Mar – General Pool Training II and Swim Tests
- 27th Mar – Weekly Polo Training
- 3rd Apr Weekly Polo Training
- 10th Apr – Weekly Polo Training
- 11th Apr – Weekly Polo Training
- 17th Apr – Weekly Polo Training
- 24th Apr – Weekly Polo Training
- 8th May – Weekly Polo Training
- 15th May – Weekly Polo Training
- 22nd May – Weekly Polo Training
- 29th May – Weekly Polo Training
- 5th June – Weekly Polo Training
Polo may continue, depending on numbers over the semester (TBA).
What to bring
- Towel and swimming gear (there are warm shower facilities at the pool)
- Money to put toward pool costs. Note that the club subsidises the pool hire, so the more people that take advantage of these sessions, the more sessions we can afford to hold.
- Please pay and sign the form at the start of the night. Each member must sign on individually.
When held at the UQ pool, the shallow end is available to club members for unsupervised skills practice. Australian canoeing members (e.g. members of other AC affiliated canoe clubs) must first contact the UQCC committee if they are interested in using the shallow end UQ pool for similar unsupervised training. Other Polo events & Competitions
- Queensland Canoeing Canoe Polo Winter Championships
The competition runs for a total of four to six rounds including the finals.
Starts: mid year and runs over June / July
- 2004 – UQCC won the series
- 2005 – UQCC won the series
- 2006 – UQCC won the series
- 2010 – did not enter
- 2011 – did not enter (flood affected)
- 2012 – UQCC won the series
- 2013 – competition did not run
Please email the canoe polo representative
with enquiries, for future dates, and/or with expressions of interest. LM: Feb 2020