By participating in any UQ Canoe Club ("UQCC") activities, you automatically agree to follow our rules. These rules are current as of Feb 2, 2009 and are subject to change at any time with or without notice.
A MEMBER NOT ADHERING TO CLUB RULES WILL HAVE THEIR MEMBERSHIP REVOKED WITHOUT WARNING.
- CLUB REPRESENTATIVE'S AUTHORITY
Members and guests (Participants) must recognise the authority of the trip leader(s)/organiser(s)/officer(s) (Club Representatives) and follow any additional rules they set up for club events/outings/activities (Event) - especially if the additional rules involve your safety. Events can be cancelled or modified at the discretion of the Club Representative (for lack of interest, inclement weather, or safety reasons). The club will attempt to replace a Club Representative on a trip, should they be unable to make it, and inform the participating members in a timely manner. Club Representatives have the authority to:
- Remove or reject any person from participation if they are not in a condition for the trip. This is a safety factor, as well as assuring the enjoyment of the other Participants.
- Participants are expected to stay together on the trip. The Club Representative will adjust the pace of the Trip to meet everyone's needs.
- Participants are expected to commit to the entire trip. The Club Representative can not do their job if some Participants only go part way through a trip and then return on their own.
- If there is an emergency and/or injury, the Club Representative may terminate the Event or let someone help the injured back to transportation or medics. The volunteer will be required to be familiar with the way back.
Remember that you are representing the club and University while participating in any club event! Please conduct yourself in such a way as not to detract from the enjoyment of the other Participants (at all times). You may be removed or excluded from the Event/trip should your behaviour not be permitting.
Any member showing up to a trip, which they are not on the attendance list for, will not be allowed to participate without the express permission of the trip leader.
Any member with excessive behavioural complaints will have their membership revoked without warning.
- ABILITY TO SWIM
You must be fit and able to swim. Most club activities take place on water. Members are not allowed to participate in water based activities if they are unable to swim.
- USE OF EQUIPMENT
The club equipment is for the use and enjoyment of members ONLY.
- Non-members are permitted to use the gear ONCE ONLY on the river in a TRIAL PADDLE to see if they would like to join the club. Members are not permitted to take non-members for a try-out paddle unless they are APPROVED to take this activity by the club committee, or are aiding an approved person take this activity. This is due to safety, insurance, liability, and information issues. Members interested in taking try-out paddles are encouraged to approach the committee in this regard. This rule is to be strictly adhered to.
- Borrowing: Boats may be signed out by members for trips away from the Brisbane river boatshed area. A donation to the club by the member is appreciated for this privilege (unless representing the club in an approved competition or course). Failure to sign the boat as per the BOAT SIGN OUT procedure will result in immediate termination of membership and possible criminal charges for stealing.
- Care: All equipment is to be washed before returning to the shed. Any damaged equipment is to be listed on the notice board inside the shed.
Illegal drugs and substances of any kind are prohibited at all club events.
The club encourages responsible drinking. Some social events may allow for the purchase and/or consumption of alcohol. We simply ask that you do not overdo it. By consuming alcohol, you give permission to allow Club Representatives find alternative ways to transport you home/get you to the remainder of the Event or exclude you from the remainder of the Event.
All Participants are encouraged to document the Event, however we stress you take extra measures to protect your equipment from undergoing damage. Also note that during the Event, Club Representatives may be taking photos for use on the web site, in newsletters, or other promotional materials. By participating in a Club Event, you are granting the Club permission to reuse these photos of you in such a manner.
Also note that all Club members MUST sign the UQCC waiver before being allowed to use the club equipment.
Click here to see the UQCC waiver.
LM: 12 Feb 09