A weekend with a sea kayak instructor learning to lead grade 1 trips and also being assessed for grade 2 skill levels.
This will take place on the South end of Bribie island, camping overnight on Bribie. The club will subsidise costs. Please apply for a place (8 available). There will also be sea kayak grade 2 training and assessment. Grade 2 paddlers are able to join higher level sea kayak trips. The club is engaging a qualified AC sea kayak instructor for the training and assessment.
Date: 9th and 10th April 2016
Location: Bongaree/Red Beach/Woorim Bribie Island
**Saturday 8.00am till 4.00pm
Sunday 8.00am till 2.00pm
Maximum Participants: 8 Adults
Cost of training: Only $50/person. Note – this is because it is being subsidised substantially by the club
Accommodation: This will be in the Bongaree Caravan Park on Saturday night. Either camping or in on site cabins depending on what the group would like to do.
Saturday 9th April
- Meet at Bongaree Beach (see attached Map) at 8.00am for introduction and Course Briefing.
- Basic Skills Course (8.30am till 10.30am)
- Morning Tea (local shops)
- Demonstrating and teaching all the Paddling Skills required to be a Grade 1 Trip Leader and Grade 2 Paddler (11.00am till 12.30pm)
- Lunch (12.30 till 1.30pm).
- Continuing morning session to teach each participant the skills required and get them to practice in the protected water. From 1.30pm till 4.00pm.
Sunday 10th April
- Revision of Saturday’s learned skills (8.00am till 10.00am).
- Paddle to either Red Beach or Woorim to test skills in rougher conditions. Dependent on participants’ abilities (10.00am till 1.30pm).
- To debrief and advise participants on where they are at with personal skills and what they need to work on (1.30pm till 2.00pm).
Potential Saturday evening session: if the group is staying at the same location to have a theory session on navigation, weather and tides.
** All times are on the beach. These times can be changed marginally to suit.
Contact/Registration: PLEASE EMAIL John Simmons
Even if you think you are not at this level, but are keen to give it a go please call John to discuss. This is an excellent opportunity to improve your personal skills and make a positive contribution to the Club.