Paddle the Tweed river to Murwillumbah, returning to Tumbulgum via the Rous river.
We will paddle from Tumbulgum up to Murwillumbah along the Tweed river. We will cross to the Rous river via Mayal Creek (a channel just east of Murwillumbah), and then return to Tumbulgum after entering the Rous river.
We will take a combination of Rosco, sturdy Tks, and sea kayaks. Tides will be strong when running, but will assist us for much of the trip.
- 6 AM Meet at UQ to load trailer/boats
- 7 AM Depart
- 8:40 AM Arrive
- 9:15 AM Launch and paddle up Tweed River
- 11:00 AM Enter Mayal Creek
- 12:00 PM Enter Rous
- 12-1PM Lunch – along river or paddle 1.2km upstream to Pat Smith Alf Colefax Park
- 1 PM Paddle to Tumbulgum along Rous River
- 3 PM finish
- 4 PM depart for Brisbane
- 5:30 PM Arrive UQ
- 6:30 PM Go home
Discipline: Sea kayaking/flat water
Date: Sat, 14 November 2015
Distance: 23-25 km (further than normal, but we will have tidal assistance for much of the trip)
- 8.8 km – Tweed River leg
- 4.5 km – Mayal Creek (3km to bridge then 1.5 km to the Rous)
- 9.2 km – Rous River leg
- Tumbulgum : L 5:38 AM H 12:16 PM
- Murwillumbah: L 5:43 AM, H 12:11 PM
- Kynnumboon (Rous): L 6:18 AM, H 12:56 PM
Moon: 14% Waxing Crescent (New moon 12 Nov)
Meet time: TBA (early).
Put In /take out point: Boat ramp at Fawcett Creek and Riverside Drive, Tumbulgum, NSW
Alt take out points
- Budd’s Park Souther side of Tweed river at Murwillumbah
- Condong (Tweed river)
- Tweed river highway follows the south bank of Tweed river.
Maya Creek (Channel)
- Queensland Rd Bridge
- We may go 1.2 km up the Rous river from Mayal Creek for lunch at Pat Smith Alf Colefax Park (cnr Urluip Rd and Dalguigan Rd), depending on progress
- We may turn round and return along the Tweed river if there are issues with Mayal Creek
- As per club Grade 2 requirements
- Spray decks (optional)
- Food/ snacks/lunch adequate for the trip duration
- Minimum 3 litres water for drinking. Accessible while paddling.
- Footwear suitable for paddling, swimming
- Sun protection (hat, sunglasses, long sleeved paddle clothes, sunscreen, etc)
- Paddle clothes to protect from cold/wind (e.g. thermal/sprag jacked or cag)
Paddlers should have an appropriate level of fitness. Individuals must self assess their, and their equipment’s, ability to participate in this level club event and should consult the trip leader if any aspect of their suitability requires clarification.
Risks: travel; sunburn; capsize; dehydration; boat traffic; rocks/submerged objects; water and terrestrial animals and plants; fatigue; medical conditions; paddle related injuries
Risk alleviation: Dress for the outdoors, Bring wind/ rain proof cag/ jacket and fleece to change into as it could be cool if you get wet. Advise trip leader of any medical conditions beforehand. Make participants aware of the potential of encountering marine animals. Stay in a group. Have water readily accessible and have regular food and water breaks. See UQ risk assessments #45934, #61477, and #57960 for more detail.
Medical Conditions: Please advise leaders if you have health issues or injuries that may affect participation. Ensure medication is carried and is accessible.
Safety Equipment: Spare paddle, tow lines, paddle float, PFD, bailer, sea kayak with deck lines and sealed compartments or flatwater TK boat with floatation, hand pumps, first aid kit.
Check Equipment Suitable craft, spray deck (optional), PFD, paddle, paddle leash (optional), bailing device, medication, water, footwear
Communications: Mobile phone(s), VHF radio, PLB, whistles, flares, signal mirror, V sheet
- Murwillumbah Police: Phone: 02 6672 9499
- Emergency Services – 000
Medical Centre: Local medical centre (emergency) : 000 or (02) 6672 1822 or (02) 6672 0299
Murwillumbah District Hospital Ewing Street, First Floor (Adjacent to front Entrance of Hospital), Murwillumbah, NSW 2484, Australia
Costs: Wear and tear contribution for club gear ~$10/day. Petrol money to your driver (~$10), Bring some extra dollars for coffee etc
Put in point (Tumbulgum)
Leader / Registration: Martin Wynne
Event ID: 151114S
Event organisers and leaders: Check registrations here (copy the event ID first). Login required.