Explore the South Pine river.
We will paddle from Dohles Rocks with the incoming tide along the Pine river and then turn into the South Pine River to exit at Bob Bell park. We will detour to explore the Tinchi Tamba wetlands and the Barungwarra Bushland Reserve waterway along the way. We may detour up 4 mile creek along the South pine, depending on progress. It is unlikely we will explore Bald Hills Creek. We will take a combination of Roscos and sea kayaks. The tide will assist us until 1 PM. Tides won’t be too strong due to half moon.
- 6 AM Meet shed, load gear.
- 7 AM depart shed
- 8AM Arrive Dohles Rocks
- 9:00 AM Car Shuttle
- 9:30 AM Briefing then Depart
- 11:00 AM Enter 4 mile Creek (distance travelled 7km)
- 12:15 AM: Lunch on beach at Barungwarra reserve entrance (distance travelled 12 km)
- 13:15 Paddle around Barungwarra reserve (distance travelled 15 km)
- 14:15 leave for Bob Bell Park
- 14:30 Take out at park (distance travelled 16 km), pack boats and retrieve car
- 15:30 Leave for UQ
- 16:30 Arrive UQ
- 17:00 Go home
Discipline: Sea kayaking/flat water
Date: 1 November 2015
Distance: Total 11 to 19km depending on options.
- 5.21 km – Dohles Rocks to South Pine Mouth
- 5.5 km – South Pine mouth to Bob Bell Park
- 4-5km (optional) – 4-mile creek (between Bangawarra and S. Pine mouth – river left).
- 7-8 km (optional) – Bald Hill Creek (south of Dohles Rocks)
Car Shuttle distance via Road: 12km between Dohles rocks and Bob Bell Park (via Bruce Highway).
Tides (relative to bar: Deep water bend low +31 min, high 4min)
- Brisbane Bar: Low – 6:24 AM (0.43m); High – 12:59 (2.29m)
- Deep water Bend (downstream from South Pine Mouth): Low – 07:00 (0.45m); High – 13: 03 (2.25m)
Moon: near half moon (3rd Nov)
Meet time: Sunday at 6.00am sharp at UQCC Shed (depart 7 AM)
Put In Point: Dohles Rocks, Dohles Rocks Road, Griffin
Dohles Rocks Rd (just before Korman Road). Take the first turnoff from the Bruce highway after Pine river bridge. Then turn right into Dohles Rocks Road.
Take Out Point: Bob Bell Park, Learmonth St, Strathpine ( Off Gympie road, near Strathpine shopping centre – Strathpine Rd exit from Bruce Highway)
Alternate course and take out points:
Alt take out points
- Burangwarra bushland reserve – end of Bald Hills Road
- Acacia Park – Pine River Drive
- Deep Water Bend Reserve – Wyampa Rd
- 4 Mile Creek (near mouth of South Pine river) – likely detour
- Bald Hills Creek (south of Dohles Rocks) – unlikely detour
- As per club Grade 2 requirements
- Spray decks (optional)
- Food/ snacks/lunch adequate for the trip duration
- Minimum 3 litres water for drinking. Accessible while paddling.
- Footwear suitable for paddling, swimming
- Sun protection (hat, sunglasses, long sleeved paddle clothes, sunscreen, etc)
- Paddle clothes to protect from cold/wind (e.g. thermal/sprag jacked or cag)
Paddlers should have an appropriate level of fitness. Individuals must self assess their, and their equipment’s, ability to participate in this level club event and should consult the trip leader if any aspect of their suitability requires clarification.
Risks: travel; rough seas; sunburn; capsize; dehydration; boat traffic; marine life; fatigue; medical conditions; paddle related injuries
Risk alleviation: Dress for the outdoors, Bring wind/ rain proof cag/ jacket and fleece to change into as it could be cool if you get wet. Advise trip leader of any medical conditions beforehand. Make participants aware of the potential of encountering marine animals. Stay in a group. Have water readily accessible and have regular food and water breaks. See UQ risk assessments #45934 and #57960 for more detail.
Medical Conditions: Please advise leaders if you have health issues or injuries that may affect participation. Ensure medication is carried and is accessible.
Safety Equipment: Spare paddle, tow lines, paddle float, PFD, bailer, sea kayak with deck lines and sealed compartments or flatwater TK boat with floatation, hand pumps, first aid kit.
Check Equipment Suitable craft, spray deck (optional), PFD, paddle, paddle leash (optional), bailing device, medication, water, footwear
Communications: Mobile phone(s), VHF radio, PLB, whistles, flares, signal mirror, V sheet
- VMR 403 Redcliffe – 3203 5522 (m: 0417 009 265); VHF Channels 16, 21, 67, 73, 81 (closes at 21:00)
- Emergency Services – 000
Medical Centre: Redcliffe Hospital, Anzac Avenue, Redcliffe – Phone: 3883 7777; Scarborough Majellan Medical Centre (107 Landsborough Avenue, Scarborough QLD 4020 (07) 3880 1444)
Costs: Wear and tear contribution for club gear ~$10/day. Petrol money to your driver (~$10), Bring some extra dollars for coffee etc
Put in point (Dohles Rocks)
Take out Point (Bob Bell Park)
Leader / Registration: Martin Wynne
Event ID: 151101S
Event organisers and leaders: Check registrations here (copy the event ID first). Login required.