Paddle the length of the Brisbane river from the river mouth to Colleges Crossing in a day. This is a long paddle only for the more able paddlers. Option to start/stop at the UQCC shed.
Participants can join in or stop paddling at any of the alternate put in / take out points below. Estimated time the group will pass are also shown. Participants will need to organise their own transport of boats if not starting at the river mouth or finishing at Colleges crossing. Contact the leader for exact details of these alternate points if needed.
Potential shorter trips where participants could join part of the trip:
- Brisbane Port to UQ Canoe Club shed (29km) with a strong tide
- UQCC shed to Colleges Crossing (53km) with the tide part of the way. .
Date: Sun 2 Feb 2014
Trip Leader: Paul Melloy
Paddle Type: Flatwater
Grade: Advanced - you must paddle at least 7km/hr (sustained). This trip is only for strong paddlers.
(29 km river mouth to UQCC shed with tide; 53km from UQCC shed to Colleges crossing with partial tidal assistance)
Duration: 13 hrs with stops
|Tide||Brisbane bar||Pinkenba||New Farm||UQCC Shed||Indooroopilly||Jindalee||Moggill Ferry|
|Low||4:09 AM||4:25 AM||5:00 AM||6:10 AM||7:55 AM||9:55 AM||1:05 PM|
|High||10:16 AM||10:27 AM||10:57 AM||11:52 AM||1:12 PM||2:57 PM||5:47 PM|
|Low||4:49PM||5:05 PM||5:40 PM||6:50 PM||8:35 PM||10:35 PM||1:45 AM|
|-||0 km||17 km||29 km||40 km||49 km||68 km|
Meet time (put in site): 5 AM
Departure time: 5:30 AM
Put in point: Lytton boat ramp, Port Drive - Whyte island, Port of Brisbane, Lytton
Map of put in point
Take out point: Colleges Crossing recreation reserve, Mount Crosby rd, Mt Crosby
Paddle finish time: ~6PM (depart UQCC shed ~9 PM)
Alternate Put in / Take out points:
- New Farm park (~7:30-7:45AM)
- Story bridge (~ 8 AM)
- UQCC shed (~9:30 AM)
- Indooroopilly canoe club (near the bridge) (~11am)
- Jindalee boat ramp (~12:30 PM)
- Moggil Ferry (~4-4:30 PM)
Premeeting : Saturday 1 Feb 2014 at 5pm. Meet at the UQCC shed to load up cars
Facilities: fresh water and toilets available at the UQCC shed
- 5-10L Water (refilling points along the way (e.g. UQCC shed)
- extra water bottle of electrolyte
- light clothing which will get wet
- hat, sunglasses, sunscreen, gloves
- wet shoes
- snacks for the the first part of the journey
- Pea-less whistle
- Bag for food to store at the UQCC shed (lunch, water, afternoon/evening on water snacks)
- Also TWO tested head torches (you need white light from front and back)
- Extra bag for end of paddle (dry clothes, food for dinner (BBQs at final park), towel
- Some cash - just in case...
- Add additional items you think you may need
- Mobile phone
- First aid kit
- Tow rope
Emergency contact: 000
Registration: Please register your interest with Paul Melloy by email (first come first served). Please include
- if you have transport (and how many extra people you could take)
- if you have roof racks for kayaks (and how many you could take).
- if you have a tow bar and are able to tow a trailer
- your contact number (sometimes there is no time for emails)
- if you have not kayaked with the organisers before, please give some indication of your skills level to assist planning. It will not be fun if you are not up to it.
Register by: 23rd January 2014