A long weekend at Nymboida canoe centre (near Grafton in NSW) with a qualified instructor. Entries close 20th April.
Nymboida creek is a great place to develop your skills in a kayak (particularly for moving water).
This weekend is for people of all skill levels to get out and play or
learn. A qualified instructor will help you learn the skills needed to paddle whitewater safely. This is part of a Queensland government training grant obtained by the club. We will camp right next to the river.
We will travel down on the Friday (evening), and have two days of instruction (Sat & Sunday). The final day (Monday) will be without the instructor and will be a half day before returning to Brisbane.
Goolang creek will be closed so we will be kayaking in the nearby Nymboida. There are rapids (grades 1-3). There are many grade 2 rapids (the little rapid at Wivenhoe is grade 2).
Nymboida Canoe Centre is 35 kms west of Grafton. It is about a 4-5 hour trip each way from Brisbane.
Prior bookings are essential
Apply by 20th April 2012
Date: Sat 5th May to Mon 7th May 2012
Duration: 3 days
Destination: Nymboida canoe centre, Nymboida river
Paddle type: Whitewater kayaking
Cost: $10/day donation for boat maintenance is encouraged, ?$8 for camping (one night is free), and about ?$40/50 for petrol (~1000 km round trip)
Meet: at the boat shed Friday 4th May. Departure times depend on which cars you are going in. Consult with the organiser and drivers by email. Most people will leave on Friday.
Return: depart around lunch time on Sunday.
Things you'll need -
- The water will be cold, and you will get wet (i.e. swimming). Bring swimming clothing that will keep you warm (eg thermals or wetsuit). Avoid wearing cotton as it will not be effective in keeping you warm when you are wet. Also bring a towel and a dry change of warm clothing for afterwards.
- Footwear that can get wet (not thongs).
- Normal camping clothing (don't forget the jumper).
- Camping gear - the club has some gear (tents, stoves, sleeping mats, bags), so let me know what you need, and we can arrange it. Torch
- Food - you will be doing plenty of exercise, so bring plenty of food. If you can get into small groups for cooking, it may be easier
- Sunscreen, Insect repellent (the bugs can be vicious), Water bottle (but you don't need water)
Talk to your committee members and the club president (Peter). Apply via this page