A great weekend (23-34 Aug) at Goolang (near Grafton in NSW). The perfect next step after Wivenhoe intro day.
Goolang creek is a great place to develop your skills in a kayak (particularly for moving water).
This weekend is for people of all skill levels to get out and play or
learn. Some of the senior club members will be teaching you the
important skills required to paddle whitewater safely. We will camp
right next to the river.
It has about two kilometres of rapids (grades 1-3). There are many grade 2 rapids (the little rapid at Wivenhoe is grade 2), with access along the creek at all points (so any rapid can be avoided). There is one optional grade 3 rapid in the middle (only for those with sufficient skill).
Goolang Creek is 35 kms west of Grafton. It is about a 4-5 hour trip each way from Brisbane.
Prior bookings are essential
Date: Sat 23th to Sun 24th April 2007
Duration: 2 days
Destination: Goolang creek
Paddle type: Whitewater kayaking
Cost: $10/day donation for boat maintenance is encouraged, ?$8 for camping and about ?$40/50 for petrol (~1000 km round trip)
Meet: at the boat shed at (TBA).
Contact: Stephanie Looi - whitewater representative or 0421 135 477 (mob)
Things you'll need -
- The water will be cold, and you will get wet (i.e. swimming). Bring swimming clothing that will keep you warm (eg thermals or wetsuit). Avoid wearing cotton as it will not be effective in keeping you warm when you are wet. Also bring a towel and a dry change of warm clothing for afterwards.
- Footwear that can get wet (not thongs).
- Normal camping clothing (don't forget the jumper).
- Camping gear - the club has some gear (tents, stoves, sleeping mats, bags), so let me know what you need, and we can arrange it. Torch
- Food - you will be doing plenty of exercise, so bring plenty of food. If you can get into small groups for cooking, it may be easier
- Sunscreen, Insect repellent (the bugs can be vicious), Water bottle (but you don't need water)
- Basic requirements (bottom of page)
If you can drive, and take passengers, or take boats (ie have roof racks), please contact me with how many passengers (excluding you), you have room for.
If you have a medical condition, allergy or something else that you think I should know about, please let me know.
Pictures: available off-site