A weekly one to two hour after-work night paddle up or down the river. Optional cheap meal beforehand.
Meet Wednesday evenings at 7:15 PM at shed
Optional 6:00PM at St Lucia for food
Looking for a paddle in the evenings but it's too dark? Do you have trouble getting to the Uni for 5 PM paddles due to work? Maybe you just like the idea of paddling under the stars and city lights. For the next month or two, we are running a weekly night paddle on Wednesday evenings (now polo/skills pool sessions have started).
For those coming straight from work, or if you simply don't want to go home, there is an option to meet in St Lucia shopping village beforehand for a cheap bite to eat (6:00 PM at Chez Tessa cafe (location map)).
Paddling at night has extra dangers. You must have adequate lights (it is critical that other boats see you easily from a distance). A minimum is a head torch and rear (?bike) light, or a raised bright 360 degree light. Glo-sticks alone or one unidirectional light are not sufficient. Bring warm gear in case it is cold. We will initially be paddling upstream where there are fewer boats. Flashing lights are often more visible.
- Lights! - front and back and bright (and sides if beams are too narrow)
- PFD - you will be required to wear a PFD at all times
- Group - we need to keep together as a group
- Sides - we need to stay to the sides of the river as much as practical to reduce exposure to other (bigger) boats.
- Warm gear - it will be cold... bring sufficient warm gear. Keep additional dry gear in your backpack/car in case you get wet!
Remember there are warm showers and a changing area in the shed complex.
- 6:00PM (optional) meet at Chez Tessa (in St. Lucia shopping village for a cheap meal)
- 7:15PM (sharp) meet at shed
- 9:30PM approximate finish time
Paddle type: Flatwater
Duration: 1 - 2 hours
Meeting time: 7:15 PM sharp
(Option of 6:00 PM in St. Lucia beforehand for a cheap meal)
Distance: 7-14 km (depending on speed and time)
Location: University of Queensland building 30
- UQ Canoe club boat shed
Address: North river end of Sir William MacGregor Drive, St. Lucia
- Tuesday evening - June 24
- Tuesday evening - July 01
- Tuesday evening - July 08
- Tuesday evening - July 15
- Tuesday evening - July 22
- Wednesday evening - July 30
- Wednesday evening - Aug 06
- Wednesday evening - Aug 13
- Possibly extended/changed depending on participation/interest, and light
Contact: Martin Wynne
with any questions or queries.
LM: July 08