A weekly two hour after-work night paddle up or down the river starts Thursday 18 Aug at 7:00 PM
Meet Thursday evenings at 7:00 PM at shed
Looking for a paddle in the evenings but it’s too dark? Do you have trouble getting to the Uni for afternoon paddles due to work? Maybe you just like the idea of paddling under the stars and city lights. For the next month or few, we are running a weekly night paddle on Thursday evenings.
Paddling at night has extra dangers. You must have adequate lights (it is critical that other boats see you easily from a distance). Basic lights consist of a front light (e.g. head torch) and a rear WHITE light, or a raised bright 360 degree white light. Glo-sticks alone or a single unidirectional light are not sufficient (but a good addition to your PFD). Red bike lights are not acceptable. Bring warm gear in case it is cold.
- Lights! – front and back and bright and white (spare batteries too)
- PFD – you will be required to wear a PFD at all times
- Group – we need to keep together as a group
- Sides – we need to stay to the sides of the river as much as practical to reduce exposure to other (bigger) boats.
- Warm gear – it may be cold… bring sufficient warm gear. Keep additional dry gear in your backpack/car in case you get wet!
Remember there are warm showers and a changing area in the shed complex.
- 7:00PM (sharp) meet at shed
- 9:00PM approximate finish time
Paddle type: Flatwater
Duration: 1 – 2 hours
Meeting time: 7:00 PM sharp <-- New time
Distance: 7-14 km (depending on speed, time, and ability)
Location: University of Queensland building 30 – UQ Canoe club boat shed
Address: North river end of Sir William MacGregor Drive, St. Lucia
- Thursday evening – 18 Aug 2011
- Thursday evening – 25 Aug 2011
- Thursday evening – 1 Sep 2011
- Thursday evening – 8 Sep 2011
- Thursday evening – 15 Sep 2011
Meeting time moved to 7 PM
- Thursday evening – 22 Sep 2011
- Night paddles have finished for 2011
No Glo – No Go!
Contact: Matt with any questions or queries.
Leaders one of : Matt / Martin / Michael